Wednesday, June 2, 2010

(Mary) decisions, decisions

Betsy and I were in a pickle of a sort we'd never dealt with before. We'd discovered someone in the 18-to-25-year-old range and we wanted to have said 18-to-25-year-old over for dinner. But we were booked for two weekends in a row, and every day during the week was booked, too -- except for Wednesday. So we invited the 18-to-25-year-old over for Wednesday dinner. But then we discovered that our refrigerator (of which we've become increasingly proud) was completely empty of tomatoes and carrots, and the Farmers Market was open on Wednesdays. Major dilemma.

"Friendship?" asked Betsy, "or produce?"

I polled some friends from school. Dakota said produce. Kennedy said friendship. They were no help at all.

Fortunately, Betsy's father rescued us by taking Betsy to the grocery store Monday night. She came back with tomatoes and carrots. Things were going to be fine.

But on Wednesday afternoon, I discovered that we could get free tickets to see Karate Kid II. I politely declined. "Sorry, we've already got plans for tonight," I said, then blinked and scrunched up my eyebrows a little bit. I couldn't believe I'd said that. We'd just spent Saturday afternoon bumming around downtown and Saturday night bumming around the apartment. We had plans? Weird.

So the 18-to-25-year-old came over, and we all ate dinner, brownies, and sprouts. Now I can't focus on my work because my cheeks hurt from laughing so much.

I guess I didn't realize those muscles were out of shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment