Tuesday, July 27, 2010

(Maddie) Who Knew Hummingbirds Could Be So Loud?

I was washing dishes in the kitchen and heard a loud shrieking bird noise. So, I went out into the living room and looked down at the alley. The alley itself is filled with various flora, including a grapefruit tree (still waiting for those to ripen), several pines, and a bunch of flowering bushes. When I looked out of the living room window, I thought the source's size would be proportional to the incredibly loud noise it was making. Wrong again. I searched for a minute or two until my eyes rested on a perturbed Ruby-Throated Hummingbird. He was very fidgity and would puff up his feathers before spewing out another cacophonous serenade. Since his "tweet" called for rougher, tougher name, I named him Hogarth right before he flitted off. It felt like naming a Chihuahua "Butch." I guess you can't judge a bird by its tweet/chirp/squawk.

1 comment:

  1. Did it sound like the last one on this website?
    http://www.worldofhummingbirds.com/sounds.php

    ReplyDelete